Questions about Truck Accidents
If I have been involved in a truck accident, what can I do to protect my rights?
First and foremost, if you are involved in a truck accident, call for medical assistance if anyone is hurt. Next, here are some tips to protect your rights:
- Take photographs of the scene when possible
- Obtain the contact information of the other drivers, passengers and witnesses
- Never talk to other insurance companies or sign any documents
- Do not speak with the truck company’s claims adjuster or sign any documents
- File a police report and report your accident to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Photograph and document damage to your car before repairs are made
- Even if you feel OK, visit a doctor as soon possible after your accident
- Call the qualified truck accident attorneys at Harvey L. Walner & Associates, Ltd.
How common are truck accidents?
About 500,000 truck accidents occur each year in the United States. Roughly 5,000 of these collisions are fatal. Most truck accidents take the lives of passengers in smaller vehicles, while the truck driver typically escapes with minor injuries.
What are the reasons for trucking accidents?
There are countless reasons for a truck accident. Trucks may be overloaded or oversized. The driver may be on an unrealistic schedule and is fatigued. Improper maintenance is also responsible for many severe truck accidents, if the brakes fail or another part malfunctions. Other common reasons include:
- Lack of truck driver training or inexperience
- Poor driving conditions (smoke, fog or inclement weather such as snow, sleet, rain and ice)
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Excessive speeds or aggressive driving behavior
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Dangerous driving record (history of reckless behavior)
- Failure to have an under-ride or under-guard protection system installed
What kind of compensation can I recover for my truck accident injury?
Each claim will vary, but you may be awarded damages for past and future medical expenses, lost wages and the inability to earn future wages, pain and suffering, and loss of quality of life. If you have lost a family member due to a truck accident, you can file a wrongful death claim. With this claim, you may be able to recover damages for funeral expenses, loss of economic contributions and loss of companionship.
Why should I choose Harvey L. Walner & Associates, Ltd. to represent my truck accident claim?
The attorneys at Harvey L. Walner & Associates, Ltd. have more than 75 years of experience litigating personal injury cases. We are dedicated to providing our clients with a high degree of personalized attention. When you call us, we will call you back no matter what. Our lawyers care about winning your claim, but we also care about you. We want you to heal quickly from your truck accident injury without obsessing over your medical bills and lost wages.
Calling us today will not cost you a penny. You can tell us all the details of your case and the lawyers at Harvey L. Walner & Associates, Ltd. can tell you how we can help. If you have been injured in a truck accident and you live in the Chicago area, please contact our office today. There is no fee unless we win your case.
If you or a loved one has been hurt, and you need help, please call or email us today for a FREE consultation.