The suddenness of an auto accident can be disorienting, but taking the proper steps after a car accident better ensures your safety and your legal interests.
After an auto accident, do:
- Call 911.
- Remain at the scene until the police complete their report.
- Keep your communication with the other driver to a minimum.
- Seek medical attention.
- Collect information about the other driver, including contact information, driver’s license number, license plate number and insurance company information.
- Give your contact information to the other driver.
- Take pictures of the location, injuries and car
- Write down details of the accident, including position of the vehicles involved, weather and time of day, and names and contact information of witnesses.
- Notify your insurance company of the auto accident.
- Keep any records of medical treatment, property damage or other documentation of the accident.
Part of knowing what to do after a car accident is knowing what not to do. After an accident:
- Do not leave the scene of the accident.
- Do not admit fault or apologize for the accident.
- Do not discuss the accident unnecessarily with the other people involved.
- Do not accept payment from the other driver.
- Do not agree to an insurance settlement before meeting with our attorneys.
- Do not sign any documents except for the police report.
Taking these steps better ensures your ability to file a personal injury claim in the event you are injured as a result of the other driver’s negligence.
If you have been injured in an auto accident, please contact the experienced Chicago auto accident attorneys at Harvey L. Walner & Associates, Ltd., to schedule a free initial consultation.