Medical malpractice is a serious issue in Chicago, especially when it comes to birth injury– these cases involve devastating lifelong consequences. Birth injuries occur when instruments to deliver a child are used in an improper way.
Birth injuries that usually occur during delivery are
- Cerebral Palsy– impairs the brain’s ability to coordinate muscle function ranging from speech to movement.
- Facial Paralysis– nerve damage to the facial region that results in paralysis, depending upon the extent of the damage paralysis can be permanent or temporary
- Forceps Injuries- Injuries from the usage of forceps during delivery. These injuries range from bruising to broken bones.
- Erb’s palsy– nerve damage to the shoulder that results in paralysis, depending upon the extent of the damage paralysis can be permanent or temporary
- Brain Damage– life-long brain function limitations such as cognitive, neurological, and movement disorders.
While these injuries can be the result of unavoidable circumstances, they are often caused by negligence from a medical professional. Preventable injuries unfortunately occur more than they should. Depending upon the injury that was suffered, treatment options for families may be temporary or life-long.
If you live in the Chicago, Illinois area and your family is the victim of a birth injury complication, please call Harvey L. Walner & Associates, Ltd. for a free consultation at (312) 313-2888.