Close Menu
Chicago Personal Injury Attorney
Call 24 Hours 24 Hour Staff to take your call
312-800-0000 Call or Text Us For Free Consultation

Chicago Auto Accident FAQs

What should I do if am involved in a car accident?

First off, call for emergency medical help if someone is injured. If your vehicle is creating a hazard to other motorists, move it or call the police immediately. They will put out flares and redirect traffic if necessary. Never admit fault; this is a legal matter and will be investigated later. Obtain the names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of all drivers and witnesses to your car accident. When possible, take photographs to document the accident (such as skid marks, road obstructions, and vehicle damage).

What kind of compensation can I collect if the other driver was at fault?

You may be entitled to medical and pharmacy bill reimbursement for the treatment for the injuries you suffered. You could also collect damages for the cost of future medical treatment, lost wages, the inability to earn future wages, pain and suffering, property damage and a rental vehicle. An insurance adjuster may offer to pay your medical bills and lost wages to get a quick settlement. However, do not accept this offer, as it does not factor everything into the equation. It is the insurance company’s job to get the lowest possible settlement and they are often very persistent. Remember, you have no obligation to talk to them.

What types of injuries usually result from a car accident?

When other motorists ignore the rules of the road and operate their motor vehicle in a careless and reckless manner, it can lead to devastating collisions. Injuries can range from cuts and bruises to wrongful death. Some common injuries include:

  • Whiplash
  • Head, neck and spinal cord injuries
  • Fractures or amputations
  • Brain injuries
  • Paralysis
  • Joint, bone, and muscle injuries
  • Burn injuries

If I am involved in an automobile accident, am I required to report it?

Yes. If someone is injured or killed in an automobile accident, you must call the police immediately. You should also report the accident to your insurance company and ask your agent what other forms you must fill out. If the damage exceeds $1,500 or if someone was hurt, you should also report your accident to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Should I see a doctor even if I feel OK after my accident?

Yes. This is an important step most accident victims overlook. Even if you feel fine, a physical exam should be conducted on both you and the passengers in your vehicle. You may have sustained an injury that does not show up immediately, such as closed-head brain injury. A doctor’s diagnosis can only help your claim; never hurt it.

Why should I choose Harvey L. Walner & Associates, Ltd. to represent my car accident claim?

The attorneys at Harvey L. Walner & Associates, Ltd. have more than 75 years of experience litigating personal injury cases. We are dedicated to providing our clients with a high degree of personalized attention. When you call us, we will call you back no matter what. Our lawyers care about winning your claim, but we also care about you. We want you to heal quickly from your car accident injury without obsessing over your escalating medical bills and time off work.

If you were injured in an automobile accident in the Chicago area, please call or email the personal injury attorneys at Harvey L. Walner & Associates, Ltd. We offer free consultations and charge no fee unless we collect money for you.

If you or a loved one has been hurt in an accident and you need help, please call or email us today for a FREE consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn