Bicycle accidents. We’ve covered just how dangerous they are and the severe injuries bicyclists can sustain because of negligence. The numbers don’t lie; far too often, some drivers don’t show others on the road the respect they deserve.
In many bicycle accidents, those who suffer harm can suffer catastrophic or fatal injuries. While helmets are encouraged, even these pieces of safety equipment are not enough in a devastating crash. Below, we will show you some of the numbers associated with bicycle accidents so that you can see just how dangerous it is.
What Are the Numbers?
As you may expect, the number of crashes involving bicyclists is not as high as those involving vehicles. However, you can easily see just how dangerous they are when you look at fatality numbers, severe injuries, and more. These are some of the stats you should know about:
- In 2019, 846 total bicyclists were killed in crashes.
- Of these crashes, about 78% occurred in urban areas compared to 22% in rural locations.
- Men were also six times more likely to suffer fatal injuries in bicycle accidents than females.
- Between 2000 and 2017, bicycle accidents have resulted in $237 billion in medical costs for fatal and non-fatal injuries.
- Roughly 4% of fatal bicycle accidents involve children 15 years of age and younger.
- On average, bicyclists who suffer fatal injuries in motor vehicle crashes were 41 to 47 years of age.
- One of the most devastating numbers shows that of those who suffer fatal injuries in hit and run accidents, around 65% are pedestrians and bicyclists.
It’s devastating to think that severe and fatal injuries can arise because of negligent drivers. Most bicyclists enjoy the activity, but it’s more dangerous than most think. However, when a crash occurs, it’s vital to speak with a legal professional who can put your rights first and help you every step of the way.
At Walner Law®, we are here to help you. Our Chicago bicycle accident lawyers have extensive experience representing injured parties against large corporations who try to bully injured claimants during a challenging time. We’ll be there for you when you need us most.
Ready to discuss your case? Call us at (312) 313-2888 today.