Chicago Cerebral Palsy Injury Lawyers
We’ll Get Your Child the Care They Need
Cerebral palsy is a medical condition resulting from brain damage that happens before, during, or shortly after birth. This disorder is an extremely tragic occurrence, as children struggle their entire lives to deal with the devastating outcomes of this condition. One cause of cerebral palsy is an injury sustained at birth.
The Chicago cerebral palsy lawyers at Walner Law help families put their lives back together after something as traumatic giving birth to a child with cerebral palsy.
About Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral palsy is characterized by diverse conditions that cause different levels of motor skill impairment and mental dysfunction. Children often have difficulty with daily tasks, like moving and hearing, because of damage to their nerves, tendons, muscles, and bones.
Effects of cerebral palsy include:
- Involuntary movements:Abnormal muscle control can result in involuntary or slow movements. This can lead to uncontrollable movements of the extremities and difficulty balancing.
- Speech problems: Those who have cerebral palsy often find it challenging to control the muscles in their mouth and tongue. Aside from impacting your speech, this side effect can create difficulty swallowing and problems eating.
- Seizures: This side effect is one of the more potentially dangerous conditions associated with cerebral palsy. Seizures can occur early on or later in your child’s life.
- Learning disabilities: Learning to do certain tasks, such as reading and writing, can be difficult for those suffering from cerebral palsy. Victims of this disorder are at a greater risk of having learning and developmental difficulties.
While the effects of cerebral palsy cannot be reversed, they can often be effectively controlled with medication, therapy, and even surgery. However, for many sufferers, cerebral palsy can lead to a diminished quality of life,= and long-term, or even life-long, treatment.
Causes of Cerebral Palsy in Infants
If your child suffers from cerebral palsy, it is important to know that many cases of cerebral palsy are preventable.
The common causes of this type of birth injury include:
- Premature birth
- Low birth weight
- Oxygen deprivation (asphyxia) before, during, or shortly after birth (often the result of constriction, choking, or near-drowning)
- Intrauterine exposure to drugs or alcohol
- Hemorrhaging in your child’s brain
- A mother’s infection or illness (such as rubella, toxoplasmosis, or a bacterial infection)
- A fall, knock, or motor vehicle accident after birth
- A disease like meningitis or encephalitis following birth
Many preventable causes of cerebral palsy may be considered medical malpractice and may entitle you to compensation to help you care for your child’s special needs due to the birth injury.
Early Warning Signs of Cerebral Palsy
The early warning signs of this condition are typically apparent by the time your child is 18 months old. One indication is delayed development, such as difficulty sucking, swallowing, rolling over, and crawling. Abnormal muscle tone is another indicator — this can include unusual posture, a too-relaxed appearance, or favoring one side of the body.
Contact Our Experienced Chicago Cerebral Palsy Lawyers
The Chicago cerebral palsy lawyers at Walner Law can help you win the compensation your family deserves for your child’s birth injury. Your first call to us will not cost you a penny, because we offer free consultations.
Are There Time Limits to Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
It’s two years from when you knew or you should ...
Should I Accept a Settlement Offer in My Illinois Medical Malpractice Case?
If your loved one is killed or injured in a ...
Is a Misdiagnosis Considered Medical Malpractice?
A misdiagnosis is considered medical malpractice. ...
Failure to Diagnose & Treat a Stroke $14.85 Million
Medical Misdiagnosis of Cervical Cancer 7 Figures
Claim against a medical laboratory for the misdiagnosis of cervical cancer.
Failure to Diagnose a Subarachnoid Hemorrhage Significant Verdict
Verdict against an internist for failure to diagnose a subarachnoid hemorrhage, causing the death of a mother.
Experience on Your Side
Our family-run law firm has more than 75 years of experience standing up for the rights of injured people and families across Chicago.
Thousands of Clients Helped
Our firm has helped over 10,000 clients get the justice they deserve since we opened our doors in 1961.
A Proven Record of Results
Our firm has recovered over $100 millions for our clients and is committed to maximizing your recovery.
We are committed to treating all clients with the dignity and respect they deserve, regardless of their potential case value.
An Extensive Network of Support
Our team of more than 45 legal and medical professionals are dedicated to providing our clients with access to medical experts, treatment, and financial assistance.
“Kristin was so knowledgeable and guided me step by step about my options and kept me in the loop about my case.”- Monica
“I chose Walner Law because they made me feel like a very important client and took consideration of my medical injury at the time.”- Denise
“This law firm was very responsive to my needs and very empathetic about my injury.”- Kyle