Chicago Surgical Error Lawyers
You May be Entitled to Compensation
When surgeons and other medical practitioners do not follow the acceptable standards, or operate without the appropriate care, routine surgery can become a devastating ordeal. Every surgical error does not constitute medical malpractice. However, if you suffer permanent injuries or your loved one has died because of a preventable surgical error, you have the right to file a claim and collect compensation.
The Chicago surgical error lawyers at Walner Law® are never too busy or too distracted for you. We give our clients access to our lawyer’s cell phones so that you always feel connected.
Prevalence of Surgical Mistakes
In 2007, there were more than 50 million surgical procedures performed in the United States. Each time a patient undergoes an operation, there are risks of surgical errors. These mistakes can range from the outcomes of pre-operative care to perforated internal organs during surgery.
Preventable Surgical Errors
Before, during, and after an operation, physicians and medical staff have established protocols they must follow to prevent serious injuries and surgical mistakes. However, these protocols are not always followed, leaving patients with injuries that should have been prevented. An error can be made by a surgeon, nurse, radiologist, or anesthesiologist who deviates from these professional standards or is negligent when performing a procedure.
Examples of surgical errors include:
- Surgical tool errors: If the scalpel accidentally severs or even nicks an important artery or tendon, the result can be significant bleeding that leads to permanent loss of function or even death.
- Anesthesia errors: If your anesthesiologist incorrectly administers a general or local anesthetic, this can lead to permanent brain injuries or nerve damage.
- Catheter injuries: The improper insertion of a catheter can harm your blood vessels, damage your nerves, or introduce air into your bloodstream that can cause serious consequences like a stroke, heart attack, or embolism.
- Incorrect operations: Although rare, it is tragic when a surgeon is careless and operates on the wrong body part. This mistake is often the result of pre-operative negligence by the surgical staff.
- Post-operative negligence: Doctors and nurses must follow up and monitor your post-operative progress. They need to check for signs of infection, blood clots, hemorrhage, embolisms, cardiac distress, or respiratory problems. If they fail to do so, this can lead to serious post-operative complications.
- Foreign objects: Leaving foreign objects like surgical tools or sponges inside of patients following surgery can cause internal bleeding and severe infection.
Do Not Trust the Hospital to Help You
Sadly, when a surgical error occurs, hospitals often conduct an internal investigation and keep the findings confidential. If you become injured by a surgical error, an experienced Chicago medical malpractice attorney can investigate the cause and help you file a claim against the liable medical practitioner.
The Chicago surgical error lawyers at Walner Law® are here to help you get the money you deserve.
If you live in the Chicago area and have suffered from a surgical mistake, please call (312) 313-2888 or send us a message today. We offer free consultations and will never charge unless we get money for you.
Are There Time Limits to Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
It’s two years from when you knew or you should ...
Should I Accept a Settlement Offer in My Illinois Medical Malpractice Case?
If your loved one is killed or injured in a ...
Is a Misdiagnosis Considered Medical Malpractice?
A misdiagnosis is considered medical malpractice. ...
Failure to Diagnose & Treat a Stroke $14.85 Million
Medical Misdiagnosis of Cervical Cancer 7 Figures
Claim against a medical laboratory for the misdiagnosis of cervical cancer.
Failure to Diagnose a Subarachnoid Hemorrhage Significant Verdict
Verdict against an internist for failure to diagnose a subarachnoid hemorrhage, causing the death of a mother.
Experience on Your Side
Our family-run law firm has more than 75 years of experience standing up for the rights of injured people and families across Chicago.
Thousands of Clients Helped
Our firm has helped over 10,000 clients get the justice they deserve since we opened our doors in 1961.
A Proven Record of Results
Our firm has recovered over $100 millions for our clients and is committed to maximizing your recovery.
We are committed to treating all clients with the dignity and respect they deserve, regardless of their potential case value.
An Extensive Network of Support
Our team of more than 45 legal and medical professionals are dedicated to providing our clients with access to medical experts, treatment, and financial assistance.
“Kristin was so knowledgeable and guided me step by step about my options and kept me in the loop about my case.”- Monica
“I chose Walner Law because they made me feel like a very important client and took consideration of my medical injury at the time.”- Denise
“This law firm was very responsive to my needs and very empathetic about my injury.”- Kyle