Chicago Car Accident Lawyers
Injured in a Motor Vehicle Collision? Contact Us Today!
Throughout the United States, automobile accidents are a leading cause of injury and death. Every 12 minutes, somebody is killed in a motor vehicle accident on roadways throughout our nation. Regardless of the outcome, an accident can result in substantial life-changing results.
No one is ever really prepared for an automobile accident and the effect that it has on your life. Time missed from work and the damage to your vehicle are usually the least of your worries but are things you will have to deal with even in a minor accident. You may face physical injuries, sky-high medical bills, and sometimes, even the loss of loved ones.
Why Choose Walner Law®
The Chicago car accident lawyers at Walner Law® know the horrifying impacts that car accidents can have on you and your family. We are dedicated to providing you with personal service that goes beyond our office walls, so you can focus on getting healthy while we concentrate on winning your case.
As if all of that were not enough, legal issues will present themselves. You may have to fight the insurance company for the money that you need to cover your losses. You need the help of an experienced guide to take you through the process. The Chicago car accident lawyers at Walner Law® will stand up to the insurance companies and help you get the compensation you deserve.
What to do After a Car Accident
If you are in a car accident, try not to panic. If anyone is injured, call an ambulance immediately. Once medical care is assured, these are the next steps you will want to take:
Here are some actions to take in the aftermath of a motor vehicle crash:
- Move vehicles from traffic: If you are able, move your vehicle to the side of the road so that it is not presenting a hazard to other drivers. If you are not able to move the vehicle, call a tow truck, put on your hazard lights, and set out flares or any other type of device to warn other drivers about your stopped vehicle.
- Obtain contact information: Exchange information with the other parties involved. This includes other drivers, passengers, and witnesses. Collect their names, addresses, and phone numbers, along with the driver’s license number and insurance information (including policy number) of the other driver(s). Also, write down the license plate number of the other vehicles involved, and the description of each car (year, make, model, and color).
- Document and photograph the accident: Take photographs of the scene. Besides the vehicles, take pictures of anything else that may have played a role in the accident. This includes weather conditions, obstructions, signs, landscaping, and debris. Also, write down what happened while it is fresh in your mind. If you are waiting for the police to arrive, this is a good time to take notes. Even if the car accident was clearly your fault, never admit you are responsible. This is a legal matter that will be determined at a later date.
- File a report: Oftentimes, especially in large cities like Chicago, police officers will not respond to accidents unless someone is hurt. If damage exceeds $1,500 or if someone was hurt, you must file an accident report. This report is also a helpful reference during the claims process.
If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident and suffered injuries, call Walner Law® immediately. Your first call will not cost you a penny. We will review your case for free and let you know how to move forward with your claim. If you live in the Chicago area, please contact our law firm today to learn more. If in your best interest, we will advise that you file a car accident claim to pursue damages. Our lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means you pay no fee unless we win your case.
Fighting the Insurance Company
When it comes to going after the compensation that you deserve, you will be dealing with two insurance companies. Not only will you be dealing with the at-fault driver’s insurance company, but you will also be dealing with yours. This is just one of many reasons that you can benefit from the assistance of the legal services of an auto accident attorney.
Regardless of the type of accident you have been involved in, the insurance company will attempt to twist your words. The best way to fight the insurance company is to not answer them when they ask for a statement about your crash. Providing an answer could open up the opportunity for them to twist your words. Instead, work with a car crash lawyer who can help you avoid the shady tactics after the accident.
Tactics Used by the Insurance Companies
The insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid paying you the money that you need. That is how they stay in business. They use a variety of tactics to accomplish this. They may offer you a sum that is far below what you should receive. They may try to deny your claim outright, or they may delay the process until they have worn you down.
Too many people accept far less than they should receive, fearing that if they do not take the first offer, they will get nothing. Once you take that offer, you likely can no longer pursue further compensation.
Even if you do not plan to sue, you immediately gain an advantage by letting your insurance company know that you are working with an attorney. Never sign anything without showing it to an attorney first.
How Our Car Accident Attorneys Can Fight for You
In a busy metropolitan area like Chicago, there can be any number of factors that go into an auto accident. Even seemingly simple auto accidents can become complex once all causes are identified, making it essential that you have an experienced Chicago auto accident attorney on your side as soon as possible.
Insurance companies will do whatever they can to cheat you out of a fair settlement. Your Chicago auto accident lawyer will investigate the cause of your accident, identify all liable parties, and fight for the true compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured or a loved one has been killed in an auto accident, please contact Walner Law®. Call (312) 313-2888 today to schedule your free case evaluation with a dedicated Chicago auto accident attorney.
Leading Causes of Chicago Auto Accidents
Automobile accidents occur very frequently on the highways in the United States. Almost everyone will be involved in some sort of vehicle accident in their lifetime. Even when you are careful, drivers on the road may not be in that same mindset. When we operate our vehicles on the road, we are not the only ones responsible for our well-being. The other drivers on the road also play a vital role in whether or not we arrive at our destination safely. It is this fact that makes it virtually impossible to avoid a car accident, even if you exercise the utmost safety while driving.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that distracted driving plays a role in the majority of auto accidents. Driver distraction is often thought of as cellphone use, such as texting, but it can also include things such as changing a radio station, looking for a beverage holder, opening a food wrapper, and anything else that takes a driver’s eyes off of the road.
Other common causes of Chicago auto accidents include:
- Aggressive driving
- Drunk driving or driving while on drugs
- Dangerous or unmaintained roadways
- Defective vehicles
- Weather hazards
In order to get proper compensation following an accident, its cause will need to be determined. Your Chicago auto accident attorney will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to identify all contributing factors, thus enabling him to properly establish liability. Only with this information can a strong case be made on your behalf and the full compensation you are due be sought.
Hidden Complexities in a Car Accident Case
Auto accidents are not always as simple as they appear. Even when it seems obvious who is to blame, there can be factors involved that you are not aware of — and those factors can have a big impact on your case.
A defective vehicle is a common cause of accidents. This is most common in SUV rollovers but can happen in any type of vehicle. Faulty tires, brakes, steering systems, and other components can cause an accident to occur. Even in accidents that truly were the fault of one or more drivers, vehicular defects can make injuries far worse than they had to be.
Accidents can also be caused by defective roadways. Faulty traffic signals are a good example. They can make it appear as if someone must have run a red light, when really neither driver was to blame. In some cases, if the defect that caused the accident is not revealed, an innocent driver can even face criminal charges and wind up in jail. That driver could be you if you do not have an attorney with the experience and knowledge to properly investigate the case.
The Legal Process of Car Accident Claims
What does the average car accident claim look like when broken down into processes?
- Documentation: Strong car accident claims usually begin with thorough documentation. The more evidence you have collected at the scene of the crash, the better. Documentation from medical providers and first responders will prove helpful, too. Our attorneys like to gather as much documentation as possible before getting too far into a claim.
- Investigation: At some point or another, it is common for our attorneys to want more information and evidence about what happened to better prove liability and calculate your damages. We can conduct careful investigations as needed. We can also work with experts like medical doctors and accident reconstructionist teams if that will benefit your claim.
- Filing: Once the investigations are over, evidence is collected, and damages are calculated, the next step is filing a claim against the liable party or parties. The defendant will have to decide how they want to respond, and they will almost certainly deny any liability for the accident.
- Negotiation: Avoiding litigation is usually in everyone’s best interests, so negotiations tend to follow initial filings and denials. Negotiations can be held privately and with a neutral mediator who helps move things along and encourage cooperation. If negotiations are successful, then you could receive a fair settlement for your injuries and expenses.
- Trial: Negotiations don’t always work. When the defendant will not agree to a fair settlement amount, the only option left will be to push to litigation in court. After a discovery process, both sides will go to court to bring their cases before a judge and, depending on the details of your claim and where it was filed, possibly a jury. The court will decide how to rule and how much the plaintiff should be given in damages if the plaintiff prevails. Court decision’s can be appealed, though, which will prolong the process.
When Should I Get a Lawyer for My Car Accident?
After any accident involving personal injury, it is important to discuss your case with a trustworthy attorney who can help you set your course for the future. Our team offers a free case evaluation without any obligation. By engaging an attorney from the start, you preserve the best opportunity to receive maximum compensation.
Contact Experienced Chicago Car Accident Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one has been involved in an auto accident, you need experienced legal help. Please contact the Chicago car accident lawyers at Walner Law® today. Your initial consultation is free and if we take your case, we only get paid if you win.
What Other Parties Can Be At Fault in a Car Accident?
There are, of course, other parties you could take ...
Can I Recover Damages in Drunk Driving Accidents Even if it Was My Fault?
It is so terrible to get hit by a drunk driver, ...
Is It Important to Retain an Attorney for My Illinois Motorcycle Accident Case?
In a motorcycle accident case, everyone believes ...
Loss of Legs in a Conveyor Belt Accident $23.5 Million
Wrongful Death of a Mom with 4-Year-Old Child $11 Million
Loss of Foot After Cement Truck Accident $10 Million
Severe Brain Injury from Unmarked Dump Truck 7 Figures
Verdict against a utility company and a municipality for leaving a dumpster on the street without any reflectors or lights, causing the client’s vehicle to strike the dumpster and our client to sustain a severe brain injury.
Wrongful Death in Swimming Pool Accident 7 Figures
Swimming pool accident causing the death of a 12-year-old child.
Mass Tort Against Municipality & Chemical Company 7 Figures
Lead counsel in a mass tort action against a municipality and a chemical company.
Wrongful Death from a Motor Vehicle Accident $250,000
Motor Vehicle Accident: Neck, Back, Shoulder, Leg & Arm Injury $170,000
Experience on Your Side
Our family-run law firm has more than 75 years of experience standing up for the rights of injured people and families across Chicago.
Thousands of Clients Helped
Our firm has helped over 10,000 clients get the justice they deserve since we opened our doors in 1961.
A Proven Record of Results
Our firm has recovered over $100 millions for our clients and is committed to maximizing your recovery.
We are committed to treating all clients with the dignity and respect they deserve, regardless of their potential case value.
An Extensive Network of Support
Our team of more than 45 legal and medical professionals are dedicated to providing our clients with access to medical experts, treatment, and financial assistance.
“Kristin was so knowledgeable and guided me step by step about my options and kept me in the loop about my case.”- Monica
“I chose Walner Law because they made me feel like a very important client and took consideration of my medical injury at the time.”- Denise
“This law firm was very responsive to my needs and very empathetic about my injury.”- Kyle