Premises Liability Attorney Chicago
We handle claims of property owner negligence.
When you visit a business, cross a sidewalk or walk down the aisles of a grocery store, you expect a certain level of safety. If that reasonable expectation is betrayed and you are injured, you may have a premises liability case. This kind of personal injury claim arises when another person or organization’s negligence contributes to or causes you or a loved one’s injuries.
Even though the party responsible for your injury may be obvious, premises liability cases are complex. Established laws and ordinances are in place in the state of Illinois to outline the safety standards that property owners must adhere to. Determining which laws apply to your specific claim should be done by the experienced Chicago premises liability lawyers at Walner Law®. Our law firm has 75 years of experience in premises liability litigation and we will proudly use it to get you and your family the compensation you deserve.
Common Types of Premises Liability Cases
A premises liability claim can happen anywhere at any time.
The most common occurrences of these types of claims include:
- Slip and fall injuries: If another party’s negligence created an unsafe environment that caused you to slip and fall, you could sustain a number of serious injuries. A slip and fall can be the result of spills and slick floors, icy or poorly maintained sidewalks, or missing handrails, all of which a property owner can be held liable for.
- Swimming pool accidents: Each year, thousands of injuries occur in private and public pools. A lack of supervision, faulty equipment, or ignorance of safety standards can lead to a range of swimming pool accidents. This includes everything from falls on slippery surfaces and diving board accidents to drowning deaths.
- Animal bites: Pet owners are responsible for the actions of their pets. If you are bitten by an aggressive dog or other pet, you can sustain severe scarring and even disfigurement. The pet owners should be held responsible for injuries to you or your loved ones.
- Rape and assault: Poor lighting, a lack of security, or broken locks can bolster a perpetrator to attack you. If this occurs in a bar parking lot, hotel parking garage, or apartment complex, the property owner could be held responsible for not protecting you as a guest or customer.
- Retail accident: If a display falls or a shelf collapses, you could suffer serious head, neck, or back injuries. A store owner or manager must make sure their store does not present a danger to consumers.
Compensation for Your Premises Liability
To hold the property owner liable, you must prove:
- The actions of the owner of the property created a hazardous environment that caused your accident.
- They knew about the dangerous condition and ignored it.
- They failed to properly warn the public about an unsafe situation.
A successful premises liability claim could award you damages to cover:
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages (past and future)
- Pain and suffering for you and your family members
For any premises liability claim, you want a law firm on your side that will protect your interests as an injury victim. At Walner Law, you’ll get legal advice during a free consultation to go through the details of your potential premises liability lawsuit. If you live in the Chicago area and believe you have a premises liability case, please contact our office today. We work on a contingency basis, meaning we charge no fee unless we get you fair compensation.