Chicago Burn Injury Lawyers
Helping Victims Recover from Thermal, Light, Chemical, and Radiation Burns
Burn injuries are the second leading cause of accidental death in the United States. They are also some of the most painful and disfiguring injuries an individual can sustain. Healing can take years before reconstructive surgery can be performed, which can cause severe emotional anguish.
Each year in America, an estimated 3.5 million burn injuries are reported, and about 1.1 million burn victims suffer considerable disabilities from their burn accident. A burn can damage your skin, muscle, tissue, and nerves.
At Walner Law®, our Chicago burn injury lawyers understand the devastation of burn injuries and are never too busy or too distracted for our clients. We are dedicated to providing you with personal service that goes beyond being in the office and will get you the money you deserve.
Call (312) 313-2888 or send us a message for a free case evaluation.
Types of Burns
The type of burn can dictate not only the severity of the burn but the degree of pain and scarring that results.
There are four main types of burns people suffer:
- Thermal burns: These are caused by contact with flames, steam, hot liquids, or any other source of extreme heat.
- Light burns: These burns are caused by any source of ultraviolet exposure.
- Chemical burns: If you come in contact with an acid or alkali, you may sustain a chemical burn.
- Radiation burns: These can be the result of contact with nuclear radiation or ultraviolet light.
What is a good settlement offer for a burn injury?
A common concern after a burn injury is, not surprisingly, how much the settlement for the injury claim will be. As a victim of a burn injury, you likely face months or years of pain and suffering. They can also result in permanent scarring and disfigurement.
If another person was responsible for your burn injury, you deserve compensation for the emotional trauma and other damages you have suffered. You need a way to pay for your medical bills and lost income since you likely won’t be returning to work anytime soon.
The amount of compensation you recover will depend on how serious the injuries are and their long-term impact on your life. Injuries can range from mild to severe, which will impact the settlement amount.
Work with a Chicago burn injury lawyer who can help you seek the full extent of compensation you are entitled to.
Varying Degrees of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries are also classified by their depth. The treatment for a serious burn injury can take years, cost thousands of dollars, and require extensive, multiple surgeries. Burns are also prone to infection and must be carefully taken care of. In severe cases, a burn injury can damage your nerves and affect other body parts and bodily functions.
The degrees of burns are:
- First-degree burns: These burns affect the outer layer of your skin, called your epidermis. Symptoms include redness, pain, and swelling. First-degree burns usually heal in a week. The most common type of first-degree burn is mild sunburn.
- Second-degree burns: With this burn, the first layer of your skin has been burned through to your second layer, called your dermis. Symptoms include blisters, severe redness, and severe pain and swelling.
- Third-degree burns:These severe burns destroy your first and second layer of skin, burning down to your third layer, called your subcutaneous. Symptoms include skin that appears white, black, or leathery. With third-degree burns, your skin’s nerve endings may have been destroyed, so you may not feel pain. But the skin surrounding your burn can be incredibly painful. These severe burns and the pain associated with them can cause a rapid pulse and difficulties breathing.
Common Causes of Burn Injuries
Some of the most common burn injuries are the result of:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Exploding furnaces, boilers, stoves, or appliances
- Industrial accidents
- Chemical spills
- Electrical accidents
- Scalding water or liquids
- Cooking accidents
- Industrial accidents and other workplace accidents
- Gasoline spills
- Defective products
- Household fires
- Defective Citronella candles
- Plant explosions
Filing Your Burn Injury Claim
If you have suffered a burn injury due to another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation, but that will require that you take the steps to file a claim for damages. The purpose of an injury claim is to help restore the victim to the place they were prior to the accident. We can help you file a claim for medical bills, missed time at work, and other forms of compensation.
Calling Walner Law® will not cost you a penny. We will review your case for free and let you know how to move forward with your claim.
If you live in the Chicago area and have suffered a burn injury, please contact our Illinois personal injury lawyers today to learn more. Our lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means you pay no fee unless we win your case.
What Other Parties Can Be At Fault in a Car Accident?
There are, of course, other parties you could take ...
Can I Recover Damages in Drunk Driving Accidents Even if it Was My Fault?
It is so terrible to get hit by a drunk driver, ...
Is It Important to Retain an Attorney for My Illinois Motorcycle Accident Case?
In a motorcycle accident case, everyone believes ...
Loss of Legs in a Conveyor Belt Accident $23.5 Million
Wrongful Death of a Mom with 4-Year-Old Child $11 Million
Loss of Foot After Cement Truck Accident $10 Million
Severe Brain Injury from Unmarked Dump Truck 7 Figures
Verdict against a utility company and a municipality for leaving a dumpster on the street without any reflectors or lights, causing the client’s vehicle to strike the dumpster and our client to sustain a severe brain injury.
Wrongful Death in Swimming Pool Accident 7 Figures
Swimming pool accident causing the death of a 12-year-old child.
Mass Tort Against Municipality & Chemical Company 7 Figures
Lead counsel in a mass tort action against a municipality and a chemical company.
Wrongful Death from a Motor Vehicle Accident $250,000
Motor Vehicle Accident: Neck, Back, Shoulder, Leg & Arm Injury $170,000
Experience on Your Side
Our family-run law firm has more than 75 years of experience standing up for the rights of injured people and families across Chicago.
Thousands of Clients Helped
Our firm has helped over 10,000 clients get the justice they deserve since we opened our doors in 1961.
A Proven Record of Results
Our firm has recovered over $100 millions for our clients and is committed to maximizing your recovery.
We are committed to treating all clients with the dignity and respect they deserve, regardless of their potential case value.
An Extensive Network of Support
Our team of more than 45 legal and medical professionals are dedicated to providing our clients with access to medical experts, treatment, and financial assistance.
“Kristin was so knowledgeable and guided me step by step about my options and kept me in the loop about my case.”- Monica
“I chose Walner Law because they made me feel like a very important client and took consideration of my medical injury at the time.”- Denise
“This law firm was very responsive to my needs and very empathetic about my injury.”- Kyle