Whenever you need to hire a lawyer for a matter pertaining to personal injury law, you want to make sure you are comfortable with your choice. We know that there needs to be a strong attorney-client relationship to not only obtain a successful result, but to also ensure that you have peace of mind with a difficult process.
In many situations, choosing the right attorney comes down to hearing the right answers that make you feel the most comfortable. The answers you receive can tell you a lot about the attorney, his or her representation, and what you can expect throughout the process.
What Kind of Experience Do You Have?
There are not many substitutions for experience. Having experience means knowing the different ways to deal with some of the problems that may arise. Experience also means that the attorney has dealt with insurance companies before, knows their tactics, and knows how to counter them.
Are You Available?
There are a lot of questions that might arise in a personal injury case, and you need to ensure that you have your questions answered. This means finding an attorney who is available to you when you need it most. Availability can go a long way in removing the stress and concerns of the situation, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
How Do You Approach Cases?
You want to know that you’re getting the most out of your representation. In many situations, you get a sole attorney and maybe work mostly with a paralegal. While we can’t speak for all lawyers out there, our team uses an extensive network with more than 45 legal and medical professionals, and everyone has a focus on helping you.
How Much Will It Cost?
We know one of the biggest concerns with hiring a lawyer is cost. We offer contingency fee representation, so you don’t pay us until we win your case on your behalf. Even more, we make it a priority to work for an outcome that sets you up for life; not a quick settlement just to get a victory.
What to Ask a Car Accident Lawyer
When you are choosing a Chicago car accident lawyer, it is important that you ask as many questions as necessary to feel confident in your selection. There are a number of attorneys in the Chicago area who can handle auto accidents, but not all of them are equally suited to the task of getting you maximum compensation. In addition to any specific questions you have brought to your initial consultation, you should be sure to ask your car accident attorney things such as:
- How many auto accident cases have you handled?
- What are some of the verdicts and settlements you’ve been able to secure?
- How many cases are you currently handling?
- Will you work on my claim personally?
- What is your payment structure?
Other General Questions to Ask
Important Questions to Ask
Most questions relate to the prospect of ultimately winning your case and the level of compensation you can expect to receive. You have been harmed due to someone else’s negligence; in most cases, you deserve fair compensation. In Illinois, there is modified comparative responsibility. If it is determined that you were more than 51% at fault, you may not be able to receive any compensation. Questions for your attorney include:
- Fees – Most personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation and fees set on a contingency basis. This means there is no fee if they do not win your case. However, you may still be responsible for some minor office fees, like copying documents.
- Timelines – Ask how the attorney expects the case to flow, and if you will receive any follow-up consultations.
- Success Rates/History – Ask about their reputation and if there is any disciplinary record. How much trial experience do they have, what percentage of cases were won, and how long they have practiced personal injury law? What is their trial experience? Do they work mostly with plaintiffs or defendants? Are they associated with any insurance companies?
- Road Travel – Will you or they need to do any travel; what charges may apply?
- Communication – Are questions answered promptly and will you be working only with this attorney or others at the law firm?
- Settlement Goal – Get an estimate of a reasonable goal for settlement. If that is not achieved, will this attorney take your case to trial?
- Location – Where will you need to go to meet with the attorney? Which courts or meeting places will be used?
- Credentials – What awards, etc., have they received?
- Board Certified – An attorney who is Board Certified has passed a strict state bar exam, qualifying as an expert.
- Settlements – If there is no settlement, will your case then go to trial?
- Online Rating Guides: Avvo, Martindale Peer Reviews, Super Lawyers, etc. – ask about any rating websites and reviews you may have questions concerning your attorney.
Selecting Your Personal Injury Attorney
Finding the right attorney to handle your personal injury case is essential. You want an advocate who has had previous success with similar cases and is a caring professional that you feel comfortable working with for the duration of your case. Gathering referral information should be the beginning of your selection process:
- Experience – If you have worked with an attorney before for another issue, he or she may be able to refer you to another respected colleague who is qualified to help you with a personal injury case.
- Personal referrals – ask friends, family, or associates for their personal recommendations.
- Bar Association – contact the local Bar Association and ask for referral information.
Once you have identified potential advocates, narrow it down to a short list of the top candidates. Take time to interview several, but beware of any statute of limitations for filing your complaint that may apply. If you miss this deadline, you may not be allowed to pursue your case. Create a list of important questions that you need to ask each attorney you interview. Use this information and your own personal reaction to each person to make the best choice possible.
About Walner Law
Our attorneys have over 75 years of combined legal experience in personal injury specializations, including personal injury accidents, worker’s compensation, medical malpractice, and wrongful death cases. If you or a loved one should have the misfortune of being in a personal injury accident, and you need a personal injury lawyer, the experienced attorneys at Walner Law, we are here for you. Call us today for a free consultation.
At Walner Law®, we focus on your rights and best interests. We’re your trusted advocates throughout the entire process and we want to ensure you feel peace of mind at every stage. Trust in us to be your voice when you need it most.
Call us at (312) 313-2888 today for your free consultation.