Our team is here for you during the COVID-19 pandemic. To serve you, we will be conducting all consultations virtually. Please contact us if you have any questions.

car insurance adjuster

Can an Insurance Adjuster Delay a Claim?

Insurance adjusters must investigate claims to determine how much compensation they should pay out after an accident. There are other steps they must take to help claimants get the compensation they need in a timely manner.

Unfortunately, there are acts of bad faith that can make it difficult for you to move forward when insurance adjusters try to protect profits. Delaying a claim is only allowed if it’s for a valid reason, but unfortunately, some insurance adjusters use it as a tactic against you.

Why Do Insurance Companies Deny Claims?

Insurance companies may try to deny a claim when they offer you a lowball settlement. They hope that your need for compensation outweighs your ability to wait, and the longer they delay, the more likely you are to accept whatever offer they give you.

Delaying a claim often forces claimants’ hands. It gives insurance companies a way to save money. Far too often, though, these delays mean you may not get the amount you rightfully deserve to cover your losses after a negligence-related accident.

What Should You Do?

If you believe an insurance company is delaying your claim, make sure you speak with a lawyer. A lawyer recognizes your financial hardship and can help you in a number of ways that help you recover sooner rather than later. An attorney can also help show insurance adjusters that you are taking your claim seriously, and they must work quicker to provide you with the compensation you deserve.

In many cases, a wrongful delay of your claim is considered a bad faith practice. It’s imperative to take action as soon as possible as insurance companies can be held accountable for their actions.

Our Chicago car accident attorneys at Walner Law® are here to help you every step of the way. Let us be your guides and voice against negligence.

Call us today at (312) 313-2888.